Manuals - why no download option?
05-11-2018, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 07:46 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Manuals - why no download option?
The most damage that I got from SD card or usb drives (that did not, for example, bath in water) is that they went read only with very few chances to make them writable again.

This especially for devices used to boot operating systems (the bootable sectors are not just any sector, so they may be under heavy stress).

On the other side I discovered that a read only flash memory is quite reliable. This as long as they get some electricity every now and then. If you store them without charge, store them properly (no static charges and co) otherwise they may lose some content after a while.

In any case what I do is:

- is my local homelab reliable? Yes but not even that much. So I bought a onedrive subscription for 10€/month (one of the best personal backup, in my opinion) and I put there all the sensible documents. Like the pictures of my family and all I want to save. (Opportunity cost: how much would I pay to recover 10 pictures of my family? Over 120 €/year. Way over. Even if I don't have the resources. Now I have more than 4000 pictures...)
Onedrive is likely more reliable than my homelab in the short term (2 years at least then we will see) better than that is only one way: print the data on paper. Paper is still the most reliable medium if one is not ready to put a lot of effort in maintenance of digital of data.

Also onedrive is quite everywhere and well supported by third party apps (like xplore on android) so it is also relatively easy to access, if one has internet.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Manuals - why no download option? - pier4r - 05-11-2018 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)