Retro Review: ASA CX-1 Flight Computer
02-06-2018, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 11:36 AM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: Retro Review: ASA CX-1 Flight Computer
Hello!

(02-06-2018 03:40 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Original Cost: unknown

I bought mine in 1988 upon completion of my private pilot's license for something like 120DM (german mark) if I remember correctly. That would have been around 75$ using historic conversion factors.
Interestingly mine looks quite different. The plastic housing is black and the red stripes around the display are black as well. I have 3 or 4 of them in my collection now but never saw one like yours!

(02-06-2018 03:40 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  If you are into aviation or a profession, the CX is worth checking out.

Well.... maybe 30 years ago. I bought it back then because I had more exams to come (instrument rating, commercial license, transport category license) and thought it would be more useful than the circular slide rule we had to use for the private license. Only to find out that electronic calculators were forbidden in those exams (they still are in many countries to this day!). And for practical usage when I started flying commercialy in 1992 we already had PC software to do the flight planning and a spreadsheet, most probably Lotus 1-2-3, on a laptop computer for the mass and balance calculation "in the field". I have maybe two dozen navigation calculators in my collection but I never used one in or around an aeroplane for the real work. Sad but true. And today there are free mobile phone applications which can do all that and much more, including navigating you home.

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Retro Review: ASA CX-1 Flight Computer - Maximilian Hohmann - 02-06-2018 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)