Multi-letter variables in RPN
02-26-2018, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 10:13 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
RE: Multi-letter variables in RPN
(02-25-2018 10:53 AM)Arno K Wrote:  My opinion on RPN and Prime is, leave it.

Thanks Arno. I am tempted to dump RPN, but only for a millisecond because RPN is so useful for number crunching and chain calculations. For these operations in the examples I've tried, there are more keypresses for Textbook & Algebraic entry compared to RPN. So I'll soldier on with RPN in Home and Textbook in CAS.

(02-25-2018 08:31 PM)Carsen Wrote:  I definitely favor the 48 series over the Prime. The soft menus and the RPL worked in perfect harmony. I have a HP Prime but it just sits in the drawer now. The menu system is what I really dislike about the Prime. My primary graphing calculator is the HP 50g and I enjoy using it above the Prime. And when my 50g dies, I'll just use my spare brand new 50g. I'm set for quite awhile. All I got to do is find myself a HP 48GX and compare that to the Prime and 50g.

Thanks Carsen. The most elegant HP calculator with the nicest keypresses that I own IMO is the 28S. It has a clean layout which I like, which is part of the attraction of the Prime for me. The only thing I don't like about the 28S is it doesn't have digit grouping like the 48/49/50. I also own the 48GX and like it very much, but find the keyboard fussy. But for graphing, I think the 50g is the way to go in that series. I don't own a 50g but from everything I've read, it is the most capable at graphing of the RPL series of calculators.

But I'm very impressed by the Prime's solving and graphing abilities, and will keep practising and experimenting with these. I can't give up RPN. I'd rather use the new DM42 / Free 42 on my iPhone and CAS on the Prime than be forced to use algebraic entry for chain calculations on the Prime.

I love the recursive and elegant nature of the RPL language, but agree with some comments that the newer language is better for students, and easier to maintain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Muti-letter variables in RPN - Carsen - 02-24-2018, 07:58 PM
RE: Multi-letter variables in RPN - Carsen - 02-25-2018, 08:31 PM
RE: Multi-letter variables in RPN - Arno K - 02-25-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Multi-letter variables in RPN - Graham D. Wilson - 02-26-2018 09:50 AM
RE: Multi-letter variables in RPN - Carsen - 02-26-2018, 08:50 PM
RE: Multi-letter variables in RPN - DrD - 02-25-2018, 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)