Question. Basic with good math libraries
03-13-2018, 11:57 AM
RE: Question. Basic with good math libraries
(03-13-2018 08:34 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Am I mistaken? Can you point out any basic that is equipped with a math library like the 71B ?

Then another question, in the other way. Those implementation of basic, like the one for the 71B, were also ported for other architectures? Like x86? Is there a chance that were open sourced?

Also decimal basic, recently discussed, http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA008683/english/ , looks promising but (a) the list of math routines are not that much, the 50g has more, although combining them may be enough, (b) I do not see it is open source and (c) I am not sure whether it is actively developed.

What math routines are you looking for? Decimal BASIC has all the usual trig functions, hyperbolics. Also you can set degrees or radians as the angle mode so you don't need conversion factors as in some radian-only BASICs.

Decimal BASIC is definitely actively developed. Remember, though, that the aim of Decimal BASIC to implement the ANSI/ISO Full Standard for BASIC which is a fixed document. There are no new features or developments in ANSI Standard BASIC. Decimal BASIC changes are usually limited to bug fixes and will therefore slow down as compatibility with the standard is approached asymptotically. The latest versions are from January 2018. The author is always ready to answer questions and is very active in the Decimal BASIC forum:

Decimal BASIC Forum

I usually use the interpreted version for debugging and then use the compiler version to create the finished program. The compiler translates the program into Pascal which is then compiled to true machine language by the Lazarus Pascal compiler. The process is transparent to the user. All you have to do is click Run. The program is compiled and linked automatically. The resulting EXE file is as fast as any C compiled program I've seen. So much for BASIC being slow!

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question. Basic with good math libraries - toml_12953 - 03-13-2018 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)