quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide
03-22-2018, 04:31 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide
(03-22-2018 02:47 PM)Han Wrote:  Is there that much of a difference between typing a slash versus a comma?

Moreover the commands are more useful this way from a programming perspective because fractions are generally represented as numerator and denominator pairs and not as a single atomic object due to constraints on exact representations.

In programming, one has the luxury, when creating the program, with ample time to make the details fit the paradigm. A comma is only convenient for command syntax, and isn't a universal division symbol. Not to mention that it is more than just a comma at issue, the command name and syntax must also be considered.

Far more often, at the command entry, a student is interactively working with problems and solution steps as part of a lesson, or homework session. Often problems can be copy/pasted from some source to the command entry line. So, after copy and paste, a student must then "know" that a special command is required, and deal with it's entry syntax, and then configure numerator and denominator accordingly. When time is important, this is quite inefficient.

The idea of textbook representation is more fluid than a special comma configured obscure command representation, at times when intermediate processing is quickly desired. I say 'obscure' command, because the same command has various names depending on the software encountered. From my experience, I think that IS a big difference.

However, there may be better reasons for not simply honoring the divide symbol as the operator ... I don't think comma, slash, or programming, is the underlying reason, is it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - DrD - 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - Han - 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - DrD - 03-22-2018 04:31 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - Han - 03-22-2018, 06:00 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - DrD - 03-22-2018, 04:57 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - DrD - 03-22-2018, 08:23 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - Han - 03-22-2018, 09:24 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - DrD - 03-23-2018, 11:55 AM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - Han - 03-23-2018, 12:51 PM
RE: quo, rem, quorem -> poly divide - DrD - 03-23-2018, 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)