The DM42 is not a physical clone of Free42, so.....
04-02-2018, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2018 08:43 AM by BarryMead.)
RE: The DM42 is not a physical clone of Free42, so.....
(04-02-2018 12:24 AM)fermienrico Wrote:  All - I am sorry it didn't come out right. I mean to say that a company like Swiss Micros if they want to be serious about building calculators should just develop their own Free42 code from scratch so there is no problem or question about code authority and would make Mr. Okken happy!
Am I correct in guessing that you have never written numerical analysis software or computer algorithms to solve difficult mathematic functions with perfect accuracy to a specified number of significant digits? For those who have, it is ludicrous to assume that such software development is EASY! I don't think that Swiss Micros has the knowledge or experience to tackle these challenges. All of the calculators that they have produced have used OTHER PEOPLE'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY to handle these difficult numerical analysis challenges. Without official permission, they appropriated many man-years of hard work by Hewlett Packard's expert engineers to produce their Voyager, and DM41 calculators, and they acquired through GPL License the work of Thomas Okken to create the DM42. It took Pauli, Marcus and Walter more than 5-Years to create the WP-34S and they had the IBM Decimal Number floating point libraries to start from. ANYTHING FROM SCRATCH is nearly IMPOSSIBLE! It is INSULTING to professional engineers and software developers when people so carelessly minimize or trivialize the EXTREMELY DIFFICULT and time consuming work we do!
'fermienrico Wrote:I think SM should have never used Free42 and built their own re-engineered version of HP42. It is not hard.
"Its not hard"? How did you arrive at that conclusion? To us Professional Engineers it IS HARD! I would like to know how you would do it without it being HARD? By all means show us the source code for a solution that is NOT-HARD!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The DM42 is not a physical clone of Free42, so..... - BarryMead - 04-02-2018 09:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)