Names of the HP48g, HP49G and HP49g+/HP50g case designers
01-07-2020, 06:11 AM
RE: Names of the HP48g, HP49G and HP49g+/HP50g case designers
Hello,

I do not remember exactly who the 49 (and 39/40) series was designed by, I am pretty sure that it was done inhouse in Melbourne.

I can tell you that the SW team was not in love with the design, we especially fought against the keyboard (rubber sheet) and the plastic windows over the screen. But they were more or less imposed to us to make the calc super sturdy (which it is!!!) and because "asia does not like stiff keys, they like soft keys"... (from memory)...
As for colors, I do not remember...

When it comes to the later apples series (the 50g, 49G+ and the like), I was, in some respect the designer. I worked with the manufacturer who produced drawings (2D first, then 3D), I would tell them what I liked and did not like from the various drawings, have them combine/remove features until we got to 2 2D models, then from these they produced a number of 3D version and the process would restart until we settled on a specific model.
I however was more of less imposed the colors by marketing, including the "gold" 50g, "because the 50g is the most expensive, so it must have the gold!!!!"... I did create the 48GII (the silver one), which definitely has the best color scheme of the series...
The same process was used for the "true success", the 35s...

Now, industrial design was not my strong point as I never had any training in it, but these turned relatively OK I think....

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Names of the HP48g, HP49G and HP49g+/HP50g case designers - cyrille de brébisson - 01-07-2020 06:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)