[VA] Short & Sweet Math Challenges #23: "May the 4th Be With You !" Special
05-20-2018, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 02:17 AM by Valentin Albillo.)
RE: [VA] Short & Sweet Math Challenges #23: "May the 4th Be With You !" ...
Hi, J-F:

(05-20-2018 02:50 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  I do also prefer the HP71, but the HP75 is an interesting machine, too.
Especially the 16kB Math module is very good, much more powerful than the HP80 series Matrix ROM.

I'd love to have a look at its Owner's Handbook to ascertain what it does and what it doesn't do. Just for instance, I think comparing it to the HP80 series Matrix ROM is quite unfair. The Matrix ROM does just that, matrix handling, so it's no surprise it doesn't delve with complex suppport, integrals, or root-finding, that's simply out of its scope.

For what it does, matrices, I wonder if the HP-75 16 Kb ROM had even a fraction of its functionality. I don't remember that it did, and that's why I'd love to see its manual. The HP-71B Math ROM is also quite inferior in that regard, having much less functionality in its matrix capabilities as compared to the HP80 series ROM.

Quote:It has matrix functions, complex number support (although not as nicely integrated than on the HP71), [...]

Matter of fact, the complex number support isn't integrated at all. The HP-75 mainframe has no provision whatsoever for complex number support (unlike the HP-71B, which does) and so there's no way to integrate it, nicely or not. I did try those capabilities at the time and found them severely lacking and awkward to use.

Quote:[...]the PROOT polynomial root finder, the Fourier Transform and more important the FNROOT and INTEGRAL functions. That is quite the same feature set than the 71.

I seriously doubt it because the HP-71B's is a 32Kb ROM and the HP-75C's is a 16 Kb one. I don't think that Capricorn assembly language is 2 times more space-efficient than Saturn assembly language so I don't think that it could fit in 16 Kb what it takes 32 Kb in the HP-71B.

Back at the time I had an HP-87XM fitted with the Assembler ROM (among many others) ad 192 Kb RAM and I did tons of Capricorn assembly language BIN files, including a very large one implementing all kinds of matrix functionality (even SORTing), printing utilities to speed raster graphics, CRT manipulation, the works, and I don't think the instruction set was 200% more efficient space-wise.

Quote:Or we may better say that the HP71 Math ROM included all the previous HP75 Math ROM features, adding a better integration with the mainframe (e.g. complex number) and improvements such as the re-entrant FNROOT and INTEGRAL functions.

The Math ROM article in the HP Journal says as much. It also says that it used the best algorithms from the 80 series Matrix ROM and enhanced versions of the HP-15C algorithms.

Quote:And with emu75 (very similar to emu71/DOS that you know very well), the first two drawbacks mentioned above are no more relevant :-)

Thanks for your kind words but I'm pretty sure you do know emu71/DOS better than me ... ;-D

Best regards.
V.
Edit to correct a mistake.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] Short & Sweet Math Challenges #23: "May the 4th Be With You !" ... - Valentin Albillo - 05-20-2018 11:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)