A very photogenic couple
08-25-2018, 06:43 PM
RE: A very photogenic couple
(08-25-2018 04:41 PM)BruceH Wrote:  I bought one of these when I was at school in the early '80s and this string display was the most annoying feature by far. On the 501P/601P models the print command would display and pause, requiring the user to press EXE (or whatever) to continue. But if the print command was followed by a semi-colon, the calc would continue without waiting for the user acknowledgment. This was very handy for displaying progress through a loop while still being able to display results to the user at the end so they could be written down.

The 4000P lost the semi-colon capability which was very annoying to me at the time. (Now I realise Casio were just preparing me for a lifetime of disappointment as tech companies take away features for no good reason!) ;-)

That's always been one of my pet peeves about Casio. On the old models, there's no way to display a numeric result without pausing the program. You can display strings all you want by putting a string literal all by itself on a line, but for displaying numbers, you have to use that blasted little triangle that pauses execution. At least the newer models let you use Locate to write text and numbers on the screen without stopping, but you have to write to specific coordinates, i.e. it's not like a stream of "PRINT" in BASIC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A very photogenic couple - Dave Britten - 08-22-2018, 01:57 PM
RE: A very photogenic couple - BruceH - 08-25-2018, 04:41 PM
RE: A very photogenic couple - Dave Britten - 08-25-2018 06:43 PM
RE: A very photogenic couple - rickh57 - 02-27-2021, 04:06 PM
RE: A very photogenic couple - Hollerith - 02-28-2021, 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)