HP Prime: python programming language support?
01-22-2019, 03:55 PM
RE: HP Prime: python programming language support?
(09-06-2018 08:53 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Python has many excellent qualities, but key among them, and IMHO the key to its wide appeal and adoption, is that Python was designed specifically for code readability, and in this regard it has succeeded. Even if you don't know Python at all, most programmers (even casual) can look at the code and grasp what it is doing (so, not C-like in this regard).

I think the key overall weakness (which is actually a plus feature for some folks) is that it is an interpreted language, so subject to the limitations that brings. I've seen a few compilers are starting to come out for specialized use, but I don't think any general purpose compilers exist from reputable vendors (though, if I'm wrong, please add information).

Bob, thanks for this information. I've been aware of Python for a few years but never really investigated it. I'm all for making code easier to understand. There are so many programming languages these days, I yearn for the days when it was FORTRAN or assembly.

Regarding compiled versus interpreted, I think that many would be surprised to know that the original BASIC at Dartmouth College in 1964 was compiled and ran on a GE minicomputer. BASIC implementations became interpreted when people like Bill Gates had to stuff BASIC on microcomputers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime: python programming language support? - Don Shepherd - 01-22-2019 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)