Running Emu71 on Android
09-14-2018, 10:57 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android
(09-14-2018 09:48 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  "File editors" might but this is not what's being discussed here, which is how to install and use Emu71 under DOSBox.

Emu71 doesn't work with graphics or multimedia files so the only thing that's needed is a text (not "file") editor, which is point 4 in Didier's original post (and it's optional at that). Thus a generic "file" editor is not required here and if the one Didier suggested asks for permissions to access and edit file types other than plain text then it's overreaching what's needed, and not to be paranoic but giving such important permissions casually might be a really big and dangerous security hole.

I'm having trouble getting my head around this. I may be a little dense on this.

How does the editor know to limit itself to ONLY opening files that contain only plain text? The Editor program might limit itself to only ".txt" files but that doesn't preclude any file being named ".txt". Does the editor pre-scan the file to check that it is plain text? I've never seen any editor that does that. Which doesn't mean that it doesn't exit. Do you have or know of an editor program that works exclusively on plain text files. I'd really like to know how it does it.

All I am getting at is that any program for Android that opens files (whether they are text files, data files, program listing, whatever), then Android will require the following permissions:

Storage

. Read the contents of your USB storage
. Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

If the program allows for the file to be open to located in any directory (i.e., the program does NOT limit the file to be open to a single named directory), then that automatically implies that the following permissions MUST also be required:

Photos/multimedia/files

. Read the contents of your USB storage
. Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

When it comes to Android, I find that these two permissions (Storage and Photos/multimedia files) are always linked. If you get one, then you get the other. I may be (probably am) wrong, but I have never seen a program that requests permission to Storage without also requesting permission for Photo/Multimedia. This is due to the fact that Android allows you to access most directories.

But you are right - this has nothing to do with using emu71 in Dos Box.

I'll let it drop at this. I don't want this to drag into the pros/cons of Androids permission levels. I find that they do not allow for the granularity that is required to create a really secure system. They are pretty gross - either you allow a program to have file access or you don't. If you allow for it then the files (almost any file) can be changed, deleted, etc.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Running Emu71 on Android - Didier Lachieze - 09-11-2018, 11:01 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - pier4r - 09-12-2018, 04:13 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - Jlouis - 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - brickviking - 09-13-2018, 10:16 AM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - rprosperi - 09-13-2018, 11:28 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 09-14-2018 10:57 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - ijabbott - 09-15-2018, 12:19 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - grsbanks - 09-15-2018, 12:30 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - ijabbott - 09-15-2018, 01:01 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - grsbanks - 09-15-2018, 01:07 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - ijabbott - 09-15-2018, 08:37 PM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - rprosperi - 09-13-2018, 12:35 AM
RE: Running Emu71 on Android - KF6GPE - 09-14-2018, 02:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)