EEVBlog #1159 Dave Jones reviews the DM42
12-25-2018, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2018 12:37 AM by Eddie W. Shore.)
RE: EEVBlog #1159 Dave Jones reviews the DM42
(12-19-2018 02:24 PM)burkhard Wrote:  
(12-19-2018 06:49 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  Interesting comment from Dave on the keyboard construction. I somehow believe that the original HPs had a hinge on each key while on the dm42 it is a plastic bloc that is bent. To me that is a no go especially for 200€ since I have no faith in the durability of this solution (also for that price I would rather go for a 150€ Prime with color touch screen and a lot more features).
Anybody knows more on this ?

Apples and Oranges concerning the Prime v. DM42.
The Prime is really targeted to modern students and Millennials who need a touch screen, things flashy to keep their attention, and a "less confusing" algebraic entry system. Some rudimentary RPN capability is tossed on as an afterthought to try to placate the old guys whose earlier machines have worn out. I don't blame HP for making those design choices... that is where market opportunity lies for a big company, even a tiny arm of a big company.

The DM42 is (almost) a flash back in time with the exception of a very nice (albeit B&W) screen that wasn't available 30 years ago. But it's mostly for old school fans, a niche market.

If you like the old way of doing things, go with the DM42. If you are a frappuccino-sipping, selfie-snapping Millennial, the Prime might be a better fit.

Excuse me, I am a fan of both the HP 42 (and other RPN calculators) and I also use the HP Prime a lot. I'm 41 and have a Masters Degree in Mathematics, not just some "frappucino-sipping, self-snapping" distracted misguided person from the younger generation. I don't know what gave you the idea to generalize entire generations.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: EEVBlog #1159 Dave Jones reviews the DM42 - Eddie W. Shore - 12-25-2018 12:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)