Decimal floating point to binary floating point
12-30-2018, 11:36 PM
RE: Decimal floating point to binary floating point
(12-26-2018 08:46 AM)Dan Wrote:  I like the control and learning I get from writing the routines, even though they won't be as good as the ones written by the pros

Might I suggest Numerical Computing with IEEE Floating Point Arithmetic by Michael L. Overton, siam.

Numerical computing is a vital part of the modern scientific infrastructure. Almost all numerical computing uses floating point arithmetic, and almost every modern computer implements the IEEE1 binary floating point standard, published in 1985. This standard is arguably the most important in the computer industry, the result of an unprecedented cooperation between academic computer scientists and the cutting edge of industry. Nonetheless, many years after its publication, the key ideas of the IEEE standard remain poorly understood by many students and computer professionals . Perhaps this is because an easily accessible yet reasonably detailed discussion of the standard has not been available-hence, the evolution of this short book. Although it is intended primarily for computer science or mathematics students, as a supplement to a more traditional textbook for a course in scientific computing, numerical analysis, or computer architecture, it also aims to reach a broader audience. As well as the IEEE standard, topics include the floating point architecture of the Intel microprocessors, a discussion of programming language support for the standard, and an introduction to the key concepts of cancellation, conditioning, and stability. The book should be accessible to any reader with an interest in computers and mathematics . Some basic knowledge of calculus and programming is assumed in the second half. The style is not that of a traditional textbook. There is enough variety of content that all but the most expert readers will find something of interest here.

BEST!
SlideRule
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Decimal floating point to binary floating point - SlideRule - 12-30-2018 11:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)