[WP34s] Regularized incomplete Beta function
05-11-2014, 01:23 PM
RE: [WP34s] Regularized incomplete Beta function
(05-10-2014 12:03 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The function is decNumberGammap in decn.c line 2164.

Thank you. In my browser the line numbers on the left do not align with the code, but I see where the function code and the series resp. CF routines start.

The CF branch uses a modified Lentz algorithm where the value for the "tiny" element is set to 1E-37. This is a common value for single precision where the working range ends right below this. The examples in the NR book use a similar value since they obviously assume single precision as well. However, in our case I feel this value should be more like 1E-6100. What do you think?

Quote:I've fixed the zero return to give a best guess return instead and increased the iteration counts which will help but won't avoid this issue.
Now to try to find a more robust algorithm.

I do not have a solution yet. On the other hand I found some improvements for the ChiĀ² quantile. The new code is running quite fast and it even handles cases where a simple Newton solver would fail. But it still needs some adjustments for high dof values with probabilities close to zero.

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP34s] Regularized incomplete Beta function - Dieter - 05-11-2014 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)