HP 200 LX 2MB and Borland Turbo C 2.01
02-04-2019, 07:02 PM
RE: HP 200 LX 2MB and Borland Turbo C 2.01
First, what does "mem" show for free memory prior to launching TurboC? You might need to close System Manager entirely if you want to use the IDE (More, Menu, Application, Terminate All). You might be able to squeeze out just enough to use it under System Manager if you configure DOS to run with all available memory. The default "DOS" icon in More will only give you as much as you've specified in Setup/System/Advanced (probably 64-96 KB or so).

You can create additional "DOS" icons in More that allocate different amounts of memory. Simply create a new icon, and set the program path to "D:\DOS\COMMAND.COM|", with the pipe (shift+backslash) character at the end. This will give you a DOS icon that grabs all available RAM (probably around 400 KB if nothing is running). If you want to be a bit more conservative, put a desired number of KB after the pipe character, e.g. "|256" to reserve 256 KB for DOS programs.

I have "DOS (All Mem)" and "DOS (256 KB)" icons on mine, the former grabbing whatever RAM is leftover depending on what else I've got running, and the latter targeting 256 KB.

On a slightly related note, I'd suggest taking a look at Turbo Pascal 5.5. The IDE runs great on the palmtop, and the language, libraries, and surviving documentation are more suitable for developing on old DOS machines these days.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 200 LX 2MB and Borland Turbo C 2.01 - Dave Britten - 02-04-2019 07:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)