Display in bad state on stored 48G
03-24-2019, 10:10 PM
RE: Display in bad state on stored 48G
Well, it seems the procedure was a success at all! Big Grin

I learned there're two layers of plastic over the LCD: one blueish, which was in the worst state, and a transparent and thicker bellow it, which had a cracked blister in the middle, so I had to remove it too.    

The procedure I used was based on some steps I found on google, for removing anti-glare cover from computer displays, which consists of keeping a wet paper towel over it for several hours, and then peeling it off. However, I'm not sure it was of any help, as it was pretty hard to peel it off anyway (and I don't think the glue is water based).

I started by removing from the cracked blister in the middle, and used a sharp knife to cut it at the edges (I couldn't remove the LCD from the metal frame, as I was afraid of breaking it putting too much force to pop it off). After removal was complete, I used a swab wet on paint remover against the remaining glue.

It took me a while to figure out the removed blue plastic was the polarizer. After putting the calculator back together and turn it on, I hear the beep, but couldn't see anything on display. Then I suspected I needed glasses to see the image, and bingo!

I was afraid the back surface was damaged too, but after removing the front plastic I could see it was intact.
So, I'm satisfied with the result, although not final yet, as I have to wait to receive the polarizer film I ordered.
It's a replacement for smartphone screen. I hope it's of the correct type.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Display in bad state on stored 48G - schuh - 03-20-2019, 12:20 PM
RE: Display in bad state on stored 48G - schuh - 03-24-2019 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)