OmniBook 300 and 425 Compact Flash Help
04-03-2019, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2019 05:16 PM by Samana76.)
OmniBook 300 and 425 Compact Flash Help
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased both an OmniBook 300 complete with original V.1.0 ROM card and 40MB PCMCIA hard drive and an OmniBook 425 with V1.2 ROM card and 10MB PCMCIA Flash memory. I have been trying to get a PCMCIA to Compact Flash card or a PCMCIA to SD card working as a hard drive in here machines so that I can easily transfer programs and files from my main PC, but have not been able to do so. I have tried to partition the card in Windows 10, Windows 98 and DOS 5.0, in a size all the way down to 40MB (one single partition - set to active), and have tried formatting in FAT 32 and FAT 16. Nothing has worked. If I put the card in drive A: or drive B: the computer says I need a driver for Windows 3.1 to recognize it. When I install the card as drive C: and reboot, the computer recognizes the card and asks to format and copy the necessary software to load Windows, but will give me an error saying it cannot format the card.

I have read that a CF card is not possible to be used on the 300 with the original ROM card, but I thought it should be possible on the 425 (or 300 with the updated ROM card). Is it possible to use a Compact Flash card (or SD card) as the hard drive? If so how can I get this to work? Just as a note the CF card is a 32GB card and the SD is 64GB. These are the only ones I have available. In any case by partitioning them to a smaller size it shouldn’t really matter, should it?

Thank you anyone who can help me with this.

Cheers,
Igor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
OmniBook 300 and 425 Compact Flash Help - Samana76 - 04-03-2019 04:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)