National Geographic: Fake News?
04-08-2019, 12:40 AM
RE: National Geographic: Fake News?
(04-07-2019 01:34 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 12:41 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I would love to get to the day we are traveling in space like Star Trek so we can find the actual number for ourselves. That's a long way away though.
I don't know if we'll ever travel through space like in Star Trek, but we might make phone calls that way. The theory of relativity says that you can't travel at the speed of light, but it doesn't say you can't travel faster. Quantum mechanics says that everything happens in quanta, including velocity.

So imagine if we could accelerate atomic particles to just below the speed of light, and then cause its velocity to make a leap to just above the speed of light? Such a thing could then be accelerated even faster and used as a communications carrier.

You don't have to travel faster than the speed of light to get from one point to another faster than light would. If you could compress or fold space in front of you, it would seem like you were traveling faster than light (it would take less than a year to travel one light-year) but Einstein's calculations would be intact. Here's one report: https://www.space.com/2129-research-warp...drive.html I don't think I'll live to see it but maybe the near ancestors of a Kirk, Picard or Janeway are alive today.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
National Geographic: Fake News? - Dan - 04-05-2019, 06:54 AM
RE: National Geographic: Fake News? - toml_12953 - 04-08-2019 12:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)