National Geographic: Fake News?
04-08-2019, 01:26 AM
RE: National Geographic: Fake News?
(04-07-2019 11:01 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(04-07-2019 10:08 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  travelling faster than the speed of light, while not forbidden by relativity, implies being able to time-travel to the past

How so?

The link I posted explains it in great detail and includes several extensively detailed examples, even all the way to numeric results. I suggest you have a look at it. Rudy Rucker also explains this in very understandable terms in several of his books.

The conclusion is clear: at FTL speeds effects can precede causes, which is likely to result in paradoxes. By way of contradiction, if paradoxes can't actually occur in the physical Universe, then information can't travel at FTL speeds and both matter/energy and messages are but information.

Speaking of sci-fi novels I've been pretty fond all my life of Asimov's and he usually had its starships going from one point in the galaxy to another by means of instantaneous hyperspace jumps, a la Battlestar Galactica, explicitly pointing that FTL speeds in normal space were impossible in his fiction universe.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
National Geographic: Fake News? - Dan - 04-05-2019, 06:54 AM
RE: National Geographic: Fake News? - Valentin Albillo - 04-08-2019 01:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)