C translator for calculator project
05-09-2019, 01:55 PM
RE: C translator for calculator project
Practically speaking, what will you do when the user makes a mistake in pointer arithmetic and crashes the system? Are you planning on checking the bounds any time a pointer is dereferenced? That will be majorly slow and you might as well go with array indexing in that case which is what BASIC does. These are things you wouldn't have to think about with a language like BASIC or Python.

Quote: BASIC, not bad but done to death on calculators, and not as popular as C for embedded systems development
I would say you need to figure out exactly what you want to accomplish. If you want an effective way for users to type in short to medium length programs to solve math problems, C is a bad choice. If you want to do embedded systems development then you can use C, but are you really suggesting that you plan to do embedded development by typing long C programs into a calculator? I briefly tried running a 68k C compiler on my TI-89 but quickly decided it wasn't worth it after a few hard resets.

I also agree that BASIC has been done to death, but the various TI and Casio dialects differ quite a lot and you would have a lot of room to be creative if you fixed the things you don't like about them or added things they are missing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
C translator for calculator project - Dan - 05-06-2019, 05:18 AM
RE: C translator for calculator project - Druzyek - 05-09-2019 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)