How to test memory in an HP48 RAM card
01-24-2021, 10:12 PM
RE: How to test memory in an HP48 RAM card
(01-21-2021 09:54 AM)wan Wrote:  
(01-20-2021 10:14 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  Back in 2015 I bought two 128KiB SRAM cards and two 2MiB SRAM cards for two of my three HP48GXs. I got them from Oleg Rodionov who had designed several sizes of SRAM and F-RAM cards and was selling them on eBay. All the cards worked fine until late last year when the 128KiB RAM card that was merged with IRAM in my Indonesian made HP48GX "crapped out" and gave me a TTRM ( Suffice it to say that I was upset because I had a substantial amount of data, mainly source code, saved on that calc and I don't know where my most recent backup is -- I've moved to Colorado and the backup would probably be in an external HDD in storage but it might be weeks before all my possessions are shipped up here ).

For a card with a capacity of 2M, there are 16 ports, and backing up so much data is a hassle.
HP's connection kit can only access the data in HOME, not the ports, which makes the backup and recovery of the whole card tedious. Is there any way to easily backup and restore the entire ram card with all ports?

Well, years ago, I wrote a utility in mostly Saturn ASM for my own use that took a list or range of ports and backed them all up to a Kermit server running on a PC. I also started on another branch of this code which did incremental backups but I never finished it ( A common fate with a lot of my projects ). IIRC, the program that just did full backups of ports via Kermit wasn't very hard to code. I say this because the calculator on which I wrote said program TTRMed not too long ago, so I may have to re-code the program. I doubt that the source is completely lost as I'm pretty sure I made backups to my Linux box, but, currently I'm nearing the end of my house remodel as I've moved from Texas to Colorado and the external HDD on which the backup(s) might be stored is in storage right now and it's going to be a while before I have access to all my belongings.

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to test memory in an HP48 RAM card - Jonathan Busby - 01-24-2021 10:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)