How to test memory in an HP48 RAM card
01-25-2021, 06:26 PM
RE: How to test memory in an HP48 RAM card
(01-25-2021 12:15 AM)mfleming Wrote:  
(01-24-2021 07:04 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  If the Cypress F-RAM chip had a, say, 192MHz clock instead of just 40MHz, then there'd be no problem. I've been in correspondence with a Cypress Semiconductor engineer, so we might find out if Cypress Semi is planning on releasing faster chips any time soon.

I've looked at a number of persistent memories and the fastest clock I can remember seeing was 66 MHz. See what's available in quad-SPI memory. With a higher clock rate that might get you in range, though I know of no low end microcontroller with hardware QSPI support.

Well, the reason I want to stick with Cypress Semiconductor F-RAM is that, AFAIK, they make F-RAM chips with the highest read / write endurance in the industry, which is 1000 trillion or one quadrillion read / write cycles. This makes it ideal for use as normal RAM on the HP48GX and HP48SX as it would be something like 100+ years before the F-RAM wore out, and, that would have to be a contrived case as one would have to continuously write or read the same memory block continuously.

Thanks for the tip regarding the higher clocked F-RAMs Smile Do you remember which manufacturer makes them? Also, thanks for the tip on QSPI. That *may* solve the problem but I'd probably have to use an ultra low power Xilinx CPLD, Microsemi or Lattice FPGA for the serial-parallel conversion. Also, I really would prefer to stick with Cypress Semi for reasons I've already stated -- maybe there is another manufacturer who makes F-RAM chips with the same or better endurance compared to the Cypress Semi ones.

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to test memory in an HP48 RAM card - Jonathan Busby - 01-25-2021 06:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)