(SR-52) Arithmetic Paradoxes (W. Kahan)
08-24-2019, 02:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2019 02:08 AM by rprosperi.)
RE: (SR-52) Arithmetic Paradoxes (W. Kahan)
(08-24-2019 12:10 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(08-23-2019 10:11 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I believe it's a theoretical SR-52 that does not have round-off errors, created by Kahan within the paper to explore and explain issues and impacts related to the round-off techniques used in the actual SR-52. I didn't read the whole paper yet so could be wrong, but the intro sections inferred this, so I'm taking a small leap.

That is correct. (I did read the whole paper -- slow day at the office!) Kahan points out some quirks in the way the SR-52 handles limited precision, compares that to a few other calculators, and then discusses how the calculator's numerical behavior would improve if those quirks were absent. It's quite an interesting read.

Thanks for confirming so Thomas. What a really, really interesting guy Kahan is (he's still alive, maybe in Toronto? update: nope, still at Berkeley). Obviously brilliant, he's also pragmatic and a creative idea guy and pretty good writer too (in general, not even just for a mathematician). I'd like to be able to sit and just chat with him, about so many topics.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: (SR-52) Arithmetic Paradoxes (W. Kahan) - rprosperi - 08-24-2019 02:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)