The calculator I always wanted
09-08-2019, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2019 01:32 PM by vanLudwig.)
The calculator I always wanted
I’m guessing I’m the only person on this forum that learned RPN on a TI-89. rpn89 by Lars Frederiksen was a short-lived project, but it was the first time I realized that HP graphing calculators were RPN because some people actually liked it. The way rpn89 displayed both questions and answers in a step-by-step manner made the 89’s native console input feel tedious and error-prone. I was devastated when rpn89 was discontinued, and now the internet seems to have been thoroughly scrubbed of it.

Acron RPN Calculator started as my attempt to recreate what I loved about rpn89. I had the advantage of not being trapped by TI’s hardware, so I could have a hi-res color output, faster computation, and a button layout that made sense in RPN. But with that, I wasn’t able to take advantage of TI’s CAS system. Acron RPN’s perfect number engine is better than your average scientific calculator, but can’t compare with what rpn89 using the 89’s CAS could do. It seemed like this was going to be the best I could achieve.

Then in 2018, I discovered Symja. Not only can Symja compete with TI’s CAS, it blows it out of the water. And so began the next phase in my journey to create the calculator I’ve always wanted.

So, without further ado, I’m thrilled to announce Acron Calculator is now available for public beta (notice ‘RPN’ has been dropped from the title – it supports both RPN and WYSIWYG input). Click here to become an Android tester (requires at least Nougat). There are currently no plans to support iOS.

[Image: Screenshot_small.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The calculator I always wanted - vanLudwig - 09-08-2019 04:29 PM
RE: The calculator I always wanted - EdS2 - 09-17-2019, 08:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)