I saw a HP-48SX at flea market and I couldn't resist.
05-21-2014, 12:32 PM
I saw a HP-48SX at flea market and I couldn't resist.
This morning I saw a HP-48SX at a flea market in Lisbon with a asking price of 15 Euro. The owner claimed it was "working fine" but it had a "small display problem, nothing serious".
No batteries to test it, but I could not resist and took it home.

It came complete with English Owner's Manual (Volumes I and II, Edition 4 July 1990, printed in Canada) in good shape, the English Quick Reference Guide (5/90, printed in Canada) and the original HP soft case in normal used condition.

The calculator itself has got the s/n: 3039A00546, so made in USA and assembled just right in the middle of those batches that resulted in defective displays (3013AXXXXX through 3044AXXXXX) according to Han Duong (Thank you for sharing that info!).
And yes, the "small display problem" is that it misses the vertical lines 5,7 and 9.
So here I am with a nice HP-48SX that most probably has a defective display driver, but otherwise it passes all tests and it appears to work just fine.
But for the money I paid it is good value for me, and it will join my other HP-48G+ in my modest calculator's collection.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I saw a HP-48SX at flea market and I couldn't resist. - jebem - 05-21-2014 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)