HP reduces drastically employees
10-06-2019, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2019 05:43 PM by Gene222.)
RE: HP reduces drastically employees
(10-06-2019 03:04 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Wish for? I was almost quoting their own press release. They are planning to increase the price of all printers that may accept 3rd party cartridges and lower the price of the ones with locked down firmware that won't print unless the cartridge is HP genuine.
They don't disable your printer permanently, but it won't print if the ink is not HP. Same difference...
I guess your printer is not HP if you didn't know that. Mine is, locked down tight to use only their ink.

My printer was not an HP. It was a 11x17 inkjet printer and scanner. I think I paid about $400+ for it. After a while, I bought third party ink cartridges for it to cut down on ink costs. This worked fine for a year or so, then after an automatic printer software update, I got a print cartridge not recognized error. For a while, I could reset my printer, but later I got another printer software update that I could not reset. The error disables all functions on the printer. Using OEM cartridges did not remove the error. So, I tossed my printer to the electronics recycle bin and bought a new printer with large refillable ink tanks and move on. However, back then I heard that the same thing had happened to HP printers.

Today, I googled HP printers and found a press release from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, dated January 7, 2019. It stated that HP did the same thing.

"SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 7, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- A settlement has been reached with HP in a class action lawsuit about Dynamic Security, a technology HP placed on certain of its inkjet printers. Plaintiffs allege Dynamic Security caused printers to stop working if they were using certain non-HP replacement ink cartridges. HP agrees under the settlement not to reactivate Dynamic Security in the Class Printers and to pay $1.5 million. HP denies that it did anything wrong."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP reduces drastically employees - Thott - 10-04-2019, 11:38 AM
RE: HP reduces drastically employees - Gene222 - 10-06-2019 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)