[newRPL] interested in RPN mode?
11-24-2019, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2019 02:32 AM by jpcuzzourt.)
RE: [newRPL] interested in RPN mode?
(11-24-2019 12:12 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  A little more google and hp4x Linux driver is the culprit. I don't know why it's being loaded on your system automatically, perhaps some old rule or other package installed a rule. You can try rmmod ho4x to unload it, then unplug and plug the calc. Use dmesg again to see if now it loaded the right driver.

Thanks. Yes, I'm on this same path now. rmmod hp4x doesn't find it, but I'll keep digging. I had finally caught up enough to realize the problem is that it is getting assigned a serial driver somewhere. It's probably from some ftdi or other usb->serial converter driver that I've installed in the past.
It's more of a learning adventure than I wanted tonight, but I'll figure it out. Thank you so much for looking. At least I can quit chasing permissions.
JP

EDIT: rmmod usb_serial_simple does it. Now it works. I just have to find out how to blacklist it for this device I guess.
Edit: Even after a reboot, the usb_serial_simple driver no longer attaches and newRPL-ui works fine*. I did not expect the fix to survive a reboot, but somehow it did. lsmod still shows the kernel module as being installed. but the calculator now attaches as /dev/hidraw0 as expected. In any case, thank you for the help Claudio. I'm pretty sure this module, usb_serial_simple, was compiled into the kernel for this linux, rather than being anything I installed intentionally. It supports a long list of USB devices, including the so-called HP 4x calculators. I'm running the latest mx Linux, which is derived from Debian.
*I do still get a "USB Communication Error" popup after restoring an archive over USB, though the restore seems to work. Is there an error log file generated anywhere? I did a cursory search for one and didn't find any.

Georgia, USA
10BII+, 12C, 14B (AE), 17B, 17BII, 20B, WP-34S, 28S, 35S, 39GS, 48G, 82240A,B
+ sliderules galore, mostly Hemmi/Post & Dietzgen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [newRPL] interested in RPN mode? - jpcuzzourt - 11-24-2019 12:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)