HP-32, HP-35, HP-38, HP-45, HP-65, HP-67, HP-70, HP-97 for iPhone/iPad
12-19-2013, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 05:12 PM by Willy R. Kunz.)
RE: HP-45, HP-67, HP-70 for iPhone and iPad
(12-19-2013 03:34 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  
(12-18-2013 09:01 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  So come on man. Brag a little.

I second that. The card system in RPN-67 is unique and very cool. The integrated code and documentation is nice, but the work you've put in porting all those programs is tremendous!

Can I please now have all of your programs on Android? Smile

Anybody care to port my apps to Android? I simply don't have the resources for that. Besides, my picture of the Android market is quite blurry. What version to support? Froyo (still 10%), Honeycomb (19%), Jelly Bean (51.5%), or just KitKat (3.6%)? What about tablet and phone sizes?

Well, on to some bragging, as requested.

RPN-67 Pro can work like the original HP-67, which was surprisingly difficult to implement considering the high-accuracy of today's computers. Many programs, notably games, rely on the reduced accuracy of the HP-67. Some users develop programs on the simulator before committing them their real HP-67. Inadvertently using advanced features of RPN-67 Pro would break the programs, of course, so these users like being able to run RPN-67 Pro in vintage mode.

In advanced mode, you get, among many other features:
  • 999 program steps (up from 224)
  • 100 extra registers, numbered R.00 through R.99
  • 6 additional flags, F4 through F9
Of course, all program cards can store all 999 steps, data cards store all 125 registers. Depending on the program, many steps may be saved by optionally storing constants in a single step, like the HP-41 and other later calculators do.
Program and data cards may be saved in the built-in database, or they may be exported to the Mac or PC. Both can also be emailed to other users of RPN-67 Pro. Both card types are simple, self-explanatory XML text files. It would be trivial to import data created in, say Excel, into RPN-67 Pro's registers. And vice versa.

One feature of the HP-45 I missed in the HP-67 was RCL op n register arithmetic. In the course of adding that feature, I also expanded the range of allowed registers. So, for example, to add the content of register 44 to x, you can use RCL+.44 (or RCL.+44). You can even store 44 in the I-register and execute RCL+.(i). The command set is now quite universal. STO-A would subtract x from register A, RCL*E would multiply x by register E. However, secondary registers must still be made primary before they can be addressed. There is no STO+15 command, or the like.
DSZ(i) and ISZ(i) automatically refer to extended register i if i exceeds 25.

The exchange registers command of the HP-67, used only for exchanging x with i, has been expanded too. RPN-67 can exchange x with any addressable register. So, x<>A would exchange x with register A, x<>.(i) would exchange x with R.44 (if i = 44).

Another exclusive feature of RPN-67 Pro is PUSH. These command pushes the entire stack (X,Y,Z,T) on an internal stack. POP will populate the standard stack with the most recently PUSHed stack values. The stack-of-stacks is four levels deep. If it is empty, a POP will simply clear the calculator's stack. One use of the command is preserving the stack while calling a subroutine.

Alright, that's all for now. If there is any interest, I can talk about the special commands dealing with the extra register 0 through 99 in an upcoming installment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-45, HP-67, HP-70 for iPhone and iPad - Willy R. Kunz - 12-19-2013 05:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)