If I were to buy an LED model...
11-09-2019, 02:39 PM
RE: If I were to buy an LED model...
(11-09-2019 02:29 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(11-09-2019 01:35 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Are the Spice models especially troublesome to keep working? It seems like a working 38C/E can be had for under $100, but I wouldn't want it to turn into a money pit/time sink.

The Spices are flimsy and tend to fall apart, but if you are very gentle with them they will continue to work. Many of them have corroded circuit board lands and/or broken battery contacts, so they can’t be charged or run off batteries. The first generation Spices used a stupid unsoldered construction that relies on the IC chips, control board and LED array being tightly clamped together. Over time parts get loose and you start losing segments in the LED display and random error messages. The cases crack, the keyboards develop bad keys and and the On/Off switch becomes flakey. I am constantly having to open mine to replace parts pirated from other non-working Spices, so they are definitely high maintenance.

The Spices were a failed attempt by HP to match pricing of competitors such as TI, by making them cheaply, and it almost destroyed their reputation for producing premium quality calculators. They returned to their senses with the Voyagers, which are the highest quality and most durable calculators HP ever made.

I see, thanks for the explanation. As attractive as the 33/34/38 look in terms of features, I wouldn't want a high-maintenance unit that needs frequent repairs. Trying to clean the key contacts in my 41CV without damaging it further was plenty nerve-wracking enough.

The Voyagers certainly are the most durable HP - and possibly most durable calculators - ever made. Perhaps I ought to just get an 11C to go with my pair of 12Cs, 15C LE, and DM16L. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If I were to buy an LED model... - Dave Britten - 11-09-2019 02:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)