5447 Bug/feature? Random functions in plot views
05-26-2014, 04:36 PM
RE: 5447 Bug/feature? Random functions in plot views
(05-25-2014 02:11 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  It's not a bug so much as an expected artifact of the plotting engine and table engine used in the function/param/polar/sequence.

Even with the much more memory available on Prime however, it really isn't feasible to store all possible data on numerical positions you could possibly see in a function. If you really would like to be viewing a snapshot of that moment of randomness, the recommended way to do it is using the 2var scatter plot.

It could be argued also the current behavior is actually much more mathematically exact as you are getting constantly changing random values. Hence any effort to "stop" that randomness is actually giving an inaccurate representation of the true behavior of what is being drawn or shown. The trace value or the value at that location can't actually be known since there is randomness at that point!

Thanks for your informative post. I recognise the difficulties. I'll consider 2var in future. I would note that despite the updates, the plot trace itself (the connected graph) isn't being updated all the time, which led to my initial confusion. You could indeed argue as you have, though I think that's very much the definition of a feature :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 5447 Bug/feature? Random functions in plot views - ColinJDenman - 05-26-2014 04:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)