[VA] New update #011 available in my HP site (11 new files 11)
01-30-2020, 07:16 AM
RE: [VA] New update #011 available in my HP site (11 new files 11)
(01-25-2020 10:14 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:   
[...] Thus, this is the last I'll say on this:

- I'll continue to upload new materials to my site but the schedule will be reduced from 10-12 files per week to 4-5 files every month or two, at most.

- I'll post no futher announcements here about any new uploads.

- Matter of fact, I'm presently leaving the forum for a while, as I lack the motivation to continue.

Valentin, I too have enjoyed all of your articles that I've read, found them to be of high quality, and do appreciate the effort you put into them. With that said, I don't think that any of those three points you posted are a bad idea. The MoHPC forum population is a pretty small subset of regular calculator users as a whole, which is itself a pretty small subset of the general population. And even among MoHPC forum users, there's a lot of different interests from general math, to RPN, to classic HP calculators, to other calculators, to programming, to recreating/emulating old HP calculators, to creating new ones, to linear algebra, to comparing various calculators, to reminiscing about the good old days of HP, etc.

I think in general most people here just like calculators, especially HP calculators, but most only have a very casual interest in any given area. Your work tends to be very detail-oriented, which I like and do appreciate when your articles match my interests, but it does obviously for any given article limit the number of readers (who again are a very small subset of a small subset of a small subset).

Like others have said, I think it's important to consider what your motivations are. If it's to reach a large readership, I can see why you would be disappointed (and realistically will probably continue to to be disappointed), but do know that for the people that are interested in any given article, they are a gem.

I do think it's a good idea not to have a self-imposed desire to publish 10-12 articles a week, especially if it adds to burnout and dissatisfaction with the low readership.

I think taking a break for a while might not be a bad idea also. I know for myself, personally I tend to get very into various hobbies (not just calculators) to the point of complete burnout -- even for stuff that I really enjoy. But overall, long term, my hobbies haven't really changed that much (there's just more and more of them and they keep taking more and more time), and I do hope that you enjoy your return to the forum again eventually and writing new articles, whenever that may be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] New update #011 available in my HP site (11 new files 11) - jklsadf - 01-30-2020 07:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)