Updated PPC HP Calc Archive Available
04-13-2020, 10:12 PM
RE: Updated PPC HP Calc Archive Available
(04-13-2020 09:47 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(04-13-2020 09:37 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I wonder if a lot is for security reasons

I also get other (different) errors in other readers with messages about the target file being "corrupted". And if I run the file through a PDF checker, I get PDF/A errors like "The page reference in a destination is invalid."

So the issue looks to me like one of format compatibility. Adobe is generating files that Adobe can read, but some (many?) other readers cannot.

(As someone said that's not very "portable" — which is what the P is supposed to stand for — but: Adobe.)

Some points to consider:
  • I have PDFs I generated in 2005 that still open perfectly on modern readers.
  • Adobe has always made use of proprietary features - mostly around form filling - that are not supported by 3rd party readers. There's nothing new there.
  • Lastly, if you run your PDF file through a PDF Checker and it says the file is corrupt then the file is very probably corrupt! (Because the PDF file format was very carefully designed so that new features could be detected and ignored by older software. Any PDF Checker worthy of the name should be able to distinguish new features versus a corrupt file.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Updated PPC HP Calc Archive Available - BruceH - 04-13-2020 10:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)