[VA] New updates available in my HP site [Latest is Update #39, Sep 22]
12-17-2020, 05:27 PM
RE: [VA] New updates available in my HP site [Update #24 Dec 17]

Hi, all:

I've just made available Update #24 at my HP site, namely the following 8 files (this makes 600 files in all which you can see and/or download for free):
  • Note: I'll appreciate it if very much if you would please refrain from posting anything to this thread, so that it only contains the update announcements and listings themselves and nothing else. If you want to comment something please create another thread or PM me for any questions or comments you want addressed. Thanks.

2020-12-17:   Update #24   (8 files, including one new Article):

HP Article VA042a - Boldly Going - Outsmarting PROOT (42S).pdf  (click to see or download)  in HP Calculator Articles
    • 15-page article belonging to my "Boldly Going" series, which includes a small 131-step RPN subprogram PZER (plus an optional driver) for the HP-42S and compatibles (DM42, Free42, Emu42, etc.) dealing with a glaring limitation of the built-in function set of the HP-42S, namely the absence of some equivalent to the HP-71B Math ROM’s keyword PROOT, the polynomial root finder which finds at once all real/complex roots of an Nth-degree polynomial.

The HP-42S includes ample built-in functionality akin to the one provided by the HP-71B Math ROM (and the RPL models), such as complex numbers and operations, matrix operations, even Solver and Integrate tools, but it lacks any equivalent of PROOT (which by the way, works only for polynomials having real coefficients). On the other hand, PZER works efficiently and accurately for polynomials whose coefficients are real and/or complex, and can work globally (no inputs or initial guesses required whatsoever, just the coefficients) while also providing extra control to the user if desired. It can be called from your own programs or manually from the keyboard.

The article features tables detailing timings and relative speeds for the various compatible devices physical and virtual, plus 10 fully worked examples, including one comparing PZER's performance vs. PROOT when finding all 100 complex roots of a 100th-degree polynomial (200 components in all) to 12-digit accuracy, which if using Free42 takes just 20" on an iPhone 8 and as little as 0.4" on a MacBook laptop. There's also examples solving polynomials having multiple roots (double, triple, ...), and finding all roots with up to 34 correct digits when using a physical DM42 or the virtual Free42 Decimal.

Last but not least, there's also the following files (click on any of them to see or download):

3 Selected HP Threads:

HP Thread VA037 - 2004-02-23 - Scanning advice needed.pdf
      HP Thread VA038 - 2003-11-28 - Hyperbolics with the Advantage.pdf
      HP Thread VA039 - 2004-02-15 - RPL challenge area between 2 curves.pdf

4 Selected FractVal images:

Misc Picture VA003 - Sample - Flaming Teapot - VF171126AJ.jpg
      Misc Picture VA006 - Sample - Frisbee in Flight - VF171202AU.jpg
      Misc Picture VA012 - Sample - Baroque Works.jpg
      Misc Picture VA014 - Sample - Will of D - VF171210AC.jpg

plus some pertinent Maintenance: \begin{array}{|c|c|} \hline Notice  \\\hline \end{array}
    I'll appreciate it if very much if you would please refrain from posting anything to this thread, so that it only contains the update announcements and listings themselves and nothing else. If you want to comment something please create another thread or PM me for any questions or comments you want addressed. Thanks.

That's all for now. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2021 !
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] New updates available in my HP site [Update #24 Dec 17] - Valentin Albillo - 12-17-2020 05:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)