Solar-powered calculators
04-28-2020, 07:27 PM
Solar-powered calculators
Lately I've been digging into solar-powered calculators. You know, in case the apocalypse leaves us all as hunter-gatherers with no access to batteries, and I still need to figure my tax return.

There's essentially three categories: solar only (no batteries), battery-assisted (runs fine without), and battery required. These are some of the best ones I've found in each category, and I'd be interested in hearing about any other good ones you've found.

Solar only (no batteries):
  • TI-36X Solar - Full scientific, with fractions, a few unit conversions and scientific constants, base conversions and logic, two-variable stats with linear regression and x/y predictions, hyperbolics, combinatorics, polar/rectangular conversions, three memories... Probably the most complete no-battery option I've found. There were about 4 different designs, all with seemingly identical functionality.
  • TI BA-35 Solar - Basic financial calculator with TVM, amortization, cost/sell/margin, percent and percent change, nominal/effective interest rate conversions, and one-variable stats.
  • Casio fx-260 Solar, fx-260 Solar II - More basic scientific calculator, with only one-variable stats and no base conversions.

Both of the TIs will run fine in a modestly-lit room. Not sure what else Casio or Sharp offer with no battery.

Battery optional:
  • Casio fx-50FH - Programmable scientific calculator. Programming features are fairly limited, but still very useful. No calculus.
  • Casio fx-3650P - Similar to the fx-50FH, but with calculus functions, and less memory for programming.

Of those, I only have the fx-50FH and fx-115ES. The fx-50FH needs a decent amount of sunlight to run without a battery.

Battery required:
  • TI-36X Pro - I couldn't get this to turn on without the battery, even outside in the sun.

Unsure:
  • Casio fx-115ES Plus - I need to pull the battery and take this one outside to confirm it will run without. Very complete scientific calculator, with many more features than the TI-36X Solar.
  • Casio fx-991EX (and similar Classwiz models) - These can supposedly run without a battery, but I don't have one to test.
  • Casio fc-200V - Financial calculator with quite a lot of functionality. Hardware platform appears to be about the same as the fx-115ES Plus.
  • Sharp EL-W516 family - Similar to the Casio fx-115ES, with some additional features. Haven't tried it without the battery yet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Solar-powered calculators - Dave Britten - 04-28-2020 07:27 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - EugeneNine - 04-28-2020, 10:08 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - ijabbott - 04-28-2020, 11:10 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - twdeckard - 04-29-2020, 01:03 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - rprosperi - 04-29-2020, 06:57 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - johanw - 05-01-2020, 01:11 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - John Galt - 05-09-2020, 06:05 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - mfleming - 05-10-2020, 01:31 AM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - ijabbott - 05-12-2020, 05:10 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - BillBee - 05-15-2020, 12:39 PM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - mfleming - 05-13-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: Solar-powered calculators - cdmackay - 05-14-2020, 05:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)