go00c crashes at startup
05-12-2020, 12:50 AM
RE: go00c crashes at startup
(05-11-2020 09:05 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  Mixed picture here: go00c crashes on my old Android 6 device (Samsung S5; messages "error loading state" -> "bad rom file" -> "00c.obj rom imported") but runs with no crash on Android 10 (Note 9). All other goXX apps run with no crashes on both devices.

But what's worse is that Android 10 has removed the menu button from its user interface, making all goXX menus inaccessible: no settings, no actions, no copy/paste/import/export of data.

Thankfully, Emu48 came just in time to stand in for my productive use of go48gx. On the other hand, over time I've bought several goXX apps simply because they are beautifully done and I occasionally enjoyed playing with them and exploring the differences between generations of HP calculators in the course of time. Now I'm stuck with them menuless.

An e-mail I sent to the author about a month ago went with no reply so far. There seems to be a Playstore app that claims to recreate the menu button on Android 10, but its description is confusing and it got mixed reviews so I decided not to install it. Has anyone here tried this one or know of a better alternative?

On the other hand, if the burden of updating these apps is getting to much (which I'd perfectly understand), how about open-sourcing them and letting the community do the work? Just a suggestion - I believe these apps are just too valuable to let them sink into oblivion.

Best, Mike

The author of these goxx apps is a member here and does stop-by from time to time. He has stated exactly what you've commented on, and inferred (if not stated directly) that creating new emulators was more interesting than constantly having to maintain his (large number) of existing apps just to keep them working as new versions of Android come out.

And although he used to reply promptly to support issues and questions, that pretty much seems to have stopped a few years ago. I've sent several messages since 2017 and not received any replies.

Although these apps were not too expensive (I purchased 3 or 4 of them) I would expect at least some short reply, even if it was to say the app I bought is no longer supported on version XYZ, etc. The author's products remain available for purchase so it seems not unreasonable to expect a reply.

Hopefully he'll see our posts and comment here.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
go00c crashes at startup - johanw - 05-06-2020, 09:41 PM
RE: go00c crashes at startup - rprosperi - 05-12-2020 12:50 AM
RE: go00c crashes at startup - cdmackay - 05-12-2020, 02:13 PM
RE: go00c crashes at startup - johanw - 05-13-2020, 07:56 PM
RE: go00c crashes at startup - Gamo - 05-12-2020, 05:57 AM
RE: go00c crashes at startup - cdmackay - 05-14-2020, 05:39 PM
RE: go00c crashes at startup - cdmackay - 05-14-2020, 05:42 PM
RE: go00c crashes at startup - cdmackay - 05-23-2020, 10:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)