HP-67 stuck in scientific (DSP 0) mode
07-18-2020, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2020 10:27 AM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: HP-67 stuck in scientific (DSP 0) mode
Hello!

(07-17-2020 08:06 PM)tribidouille Wrote:  
(07-17-2020 10:37 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  ...
accessed by pressing "g" followed by "DSP"

On the HP-67, I guess you mean just pressing DSP as this function is directly accessible on the key:

Or do I missunderstand?

What I meant is that pressing DSP followed by a number key will set the number of decimal places. Pressing DSP after pressing "g" will put the display in Scientific notation mode.
So both faults (?) seem to be connected to the DSP key.

On one of my HP-67s (I was very lucky to get a near mint one from eBay just last week for a very good price which seems to have been overlooked by our fellow collectors here :-) ) I tried to check if a stuck DSP key might result in the behaviour of your calculator. But no, unfortunately it isn't that easy. It is not just a keyboard fault that can cause this.

(07-17-2020 08:06 PM)tribidouille Wrote:  Then, worse that it is broken.
But most bad, I like it very much.
I just found it in a box with electronics, where it was laying since 15 years. I directly fell in love. Even more than with the 41C. This card thing is so cute, and clever!

Yes, it is a very nice calculator indeed and one of my top-five all time favorites. If nothing else helps it is certainly worth getting a replacement board for it. A good HP-67 can easily be worth 200$/Euros so the money will be well spent!

And regarding AndiGer's suggestion to set the display mode by a small program this is what you could try:

1. Place the "W/PRGM - RUN" switch to "W/PRGM"
2. Enter the following sequence of keystrokes:
f LBL A
f FIX
DSP 2
h RTN
f LBL B
g SCI
DSP 0
h RTN
3. Place the "W/PRGM - RUN" switch to "RUN"

Pressing the "A" key should put your calculator into the normal operating mode displaying "0.00"
Pressing the "B" key should put your calculator into the mode of your machine displaying "0.__________00"

Good luck
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-67 stuck in scientific (DSP 0) mode - Maximilian Hohmann - 07-18-2020 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)