unnecessary confusion w/ Convert cmd
07-24-2014, 06:41 AM
RE: unnecessary confusion w/ Convert cmd
(07-24-2014 05:15 AM)Angus Wrote:  Thank you for your explanation, parisse.
But isn't the symbol _in? Is the loop you mentioned usable code from within programs? So you can use the loop in a cas program but NOT in a home program? I didn't know such syntax is available at all.
Yes the symbol is _in but the way it works it requires in not to be a keyword.
And I just checked the for loop in the emulator, it works.

Quote:Can you say that in cas mode there are other reserved words than in home? In cas mode is it your original core-code that parses the entry - there is no hp parser that would realize tokens like units? And is that the reason that there are numerous typos with the commands? You use a different spelling in xcas than hp used in their hp39 code? (I prefer to call it cas mode. I understand that often things come from xcas but when I switch my calculator into cas it is still the prime I hold in my hands. If mangling the xcas into the hp system causes so much trouble I would personally not have chosen that road in the design stage)
The CAS parser was adapted from the Xcas parser (some rules are not available), and the CAS lexer has less keywords than the Xcas parser: for example synonyms were removed unlike in Xcas, where you can sometimes use several keywords for the same command (one is familiar for TI users, one for maple users, etc.). The general rule in Xcas is that you can type a command all lowercase (no need to switch if you type from keyboard). The general rule in Prime Home is that you can type a command all uppercase. Some commands exist in Home uppercase and CAS lowercase that have almost the same functionnality, but not exactly the same: convert is one example, since convert in CAS can also do symbolic conversions. I think that if HP modifies the UI so that commands in the catalog appear in lowercase when called from CAS mode and both commands exist, a large part of the confusions would disappear.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: unnecessary confusion w/ Convert cmd - parisse - 07-24-2014 06:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)