New Fix For Classic Silver Bar?
01-20-2021, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2021 09:50 PM by [kby].)
RE: New Fix For Classic Silver Bar?
I’m not convinced the originals were done this way; especially the ones thst have a more “aluminum” color to them. I’m pretty sure those are paint, but perhaps applied by machine and/or before the display panel is assembled. We’re trying to do this post-assembly which makes it much more difficult. There’s a reason good car repainted remove and replace (with new, usually) chrome trim before repainting, rather than just masking it.

The procedures I’ve read also seem more aimed at plating an entire plastic object (see above paragraph) rather than a few thin lines on an otherwise mostly “non-chromed” object.

That said, there’s nothing like real chromed plastic when it is the look you are looking for.

But I would also be remiss if I did not point out that the hexavalent chromium required to do this is quite toxic/mutagenic, environmentally dangerous and potentially a fire hazard (strong oxidizer).-kby

(01-18-2021 10:48 PM)vk6ti Wrote:  If your really in love with the calculator, or need to do a few of them,
What about the old fashion way with copper paint and a simple Electroplating chroming kit.
I realize there is more cost and effort but It would give you an original finish.
Ray
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Fix For Classic Silver Bar? - Jeff O. - 01-04-2021, 10:51 PM
Bare-Metal? - striegel - 01-05-2021, 01:30 AM
RE: New Fix For Classic Silver Bar? - [kby] - 01-20-2021 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)