Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
01-31-2021, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2021 05:50 PM by J-F Garnier.)
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
Although this is definitely interesting, my personal feeling is that it goes too far from what I appreciated in the initial Free42 that was a (much, much) faster HP-42S, with higher accuracy (decimal version with 25 then 34 digits) and lot of memory.
I enjoyed the few past extensions like the time functions modelled from the 41C, and would have appreciated more features from the HP-41 X-functions for running HP-41C programs that use these features, and some kind of HPIL-like I/O for accessing the host file system.

I believe this is the natural evolution of many applications, to be always more powerful, more complex and bigger, but I could also appreciate a simpler version such as a Free32 - a HP-32S replacement with the key Free42 features of speed and accuracy, and some limited extensions such as I proposed here.

Oh yes, I could do it by myself - yet another project idea. Very low priority for now, too many projects in mind and too little time. So if someone shares my point of view, feel free to use any of these ideas...

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions - J-F Garnier - 01-31-2021 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)