Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
01-31-2021, 07:04 PM
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
(01-31-2021 05:36 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  Although this is definitely interesting, my personal feeling is that it goes too far from what I appreciated in the initial Free42 that was a (much, much) faster HP-42S, with higher accuracy (decimal version with 25 then 34 digits) and lot of memory.

The cost of the features I have added so far is basically zero, they make the executable a few kilobytes larger and they increase the memory footprint by about 30 bytes (that's not a typo). And slower by a few nanoseconds per program step. Unless you stumble across the additions to the MODES and CATALOG menus (and, okay, the STRACE mode I added in the PRINT menu), you won't even notice that anything has changed. And that is important to me, Free42 will always be an HP-42S replacement first and foremost, as far as I'm concerned.

The really advanced functionality that I will be working on from here on out will be in a separate fork, so Free42 will remain the way it is now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions - Thomas Okken - 01-31-2021 07:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)