HP48 Clock error data results
03-01-2021, 10:25 PM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results
Jonathan/and others:

Thanks again for your attention/comments.

Perhaps the stability of the PLL is the issue - Given the technology of the time (1980s-90s), perhaps it simply is the PLL stability.

Well, there two questions here - and I wonder if they're related:
- The variable 'ON-D-A' frequencies which are always less than 4MHz
- The slow user clock

It is most curious that all of the HP48s that I have checked are always slow. Not sure exactly how many, but it seems to be more than 10 over the last >10 years.

It is also curious that the error I have found so far (granted a limited population) is close to 2 seconds per day. This equates to about 20ppm - which is a typical spec for a 'run of the mill' clock crystal.

What I suspect is that there is something in the software/interrupt structure of the code that causes the user clock to 'lose time'. Perhaps once I gather more data we can start to surmise where this may be - is it related to amount of time the calculator is on? Is it related to the clock display in the screen? etc. etc... (...or just the PLL!!!)

I am writing a 'CLKADJ adjuster' program that the user will run periodically (perhaps weekly), and calculates a CLKADJ number. This will be scaled to a daily factor and added to the previous CLKADJ number (which of course starts at 0). The machine will keep a history list of when this adjustment was done, and a list of all CLKADJ factor. The machine will also run alarm code daily (at say, 1am, then shutoff). We will then have a list of when the adjustments were done (I will attempt to do this weekly.) Assuming the error is consistent, we should see this list of CLKADJ factors converge to a stable value. Perhaps we can then study if the clock error is dependent on how often the machine is used/not used/running programs, battery condition, etc...
It may be interesting to see if there is a correlation between the user clock error and the 'ON-D-A' error.

Where will we go with this? What will we do with it? Not sure, but the results should prove to be interesting (to me at least ! Smile )

I still have several machines running for over two weeks now with no CLKADJ factors and the (again very limited) data shows consistent error over time.

Pardon my rambling - I hope to have some code up soon.

TomC
ps: Data format expected is something like this:
{{date time} {date time}...{date time}} <---DateTime history list
{0 clkadj1 clkadj2 clkadj3....} <-- CLKADJ factor history list
@ Of course over time, we'll have to maintain a reasonable length of these lists to conserve memory.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(03-01-2021 08:03 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  
(02-28-2021 03:26 AM)TomC Wrote:  This of course is assuming that the calculators inaccuracy is consistent over time.

This is what I meant when I said I thought that the HP48's crystal oscillator frequency was not variable. But, if it's not variable ( albeit slow ), then what explains the inconsistent and seemingly random ( in the lower order digits ) of the CPU speed reported by ON-D A? I know for a fact that the clock speed self test turns off the display, disables interrupts and also disables hardware keyboard scanning. So, is there something going on with the PLL?

Regards,

Jonathan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP48 Clock error data results - TomC - 02-28-2021, 03:26 AM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results - EdS2 - 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results - TomC - 02-28-2021, 11:11 AM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results - TomC - 03-01-2021 10:25 PM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results - TomC - 03-03-2021, 04:02 PM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results - cruff - 03-02-2021, 02:33 AM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results - Hlib - 03-03-2021, 05:37 PM
RE: HP48 Clock error data results - TomC - 03-03-2021, 05:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)