Anything I should know before buying a 71B?
03-12-2021, 06:15 PM
RE: Anything I should know before buying a 71B?
Hi,

(03-12-2021 03:37 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I know there are a couple of different ROM versions, but aside from the array redimensioning bug in 2CCCC, it sounds like there aren't many significant differences. Is that accurate?

I've been using the HP-71B version 1BBBB very extensively since it was released 37 years ago, writing hundreds of programs large and small, simple and convoluted, and never ever have I stumbled upon any bug, not once. Thus, I'd recommend you to also consider 1BBBB if you find one in better condition/price than a newer version. Avoid 1CCCC at all costs.

Quote:The base 17.5 KB of user RAM sounds like it would be plenty for starters (that's like 8 times as much as a 41's main memory!), but are there options for increasing it more than the paltry 4 KB RAM modules that I see?

Of course there are ! Here you are, one of my HP-71B fitted with CMT 128 Kb RAM:

[Image: ZZ71BCMT128.jpg]

They're probably expensive but, at least for me, an absolute must. I also own a card-reader but I stored it away and have used the CMB 128 Kb module in its place ever since.

Last but not least, once you've got your HP-71B (or before) have a look at the many pictures and programs I've written for it, available as JPG and/or PDF at my HP site.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anything I should know before buying a 71B? - Valentin Albillo - 03-12-2021 06:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)