Thread Closed 
Reading one or two arguments
03-16-2021, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2021 04:43 PM by essen.)
RE: Reading one or two arguments
(03-16-2021 11:57 AM)HillyBoy Wrote:  You know what is really funny?
If you take a complex in the notation (a,b) and make it polar, you get the notation (abs<arg), which is very useful. Now if you try to edit this stack entry it shows up on the command line in that same notation, so far so good, still a happy user. Then when you press ENTER you get a syntax-error as the Prime only accepts polar complex objects in the notation (abs,<arg), so with a comma between "abs" and "<". Once this is corrected and ENTER pressed it shows on the stack as before without a comma, so as (abs<arg).

The other funny thing is when using Ans(N) it is possible to read stack entries, again very useful. The reverse is possible as well, so you can assign a value to Ans(1), Ans(2), Ans(3), etc. But instead of what you would expect, only Ans(1) is being modified. Nice inconsistent behaviour that is.

Now I am only working with the Prime for one week now and only been busy with these complex numbers, so I wonder how many other inconsistencies this marvel of ignorance contains.

While searching for answers I found this very interesting thread: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Tablets-an...-p/5046879

It dates back from 2014 and nothing seems to have happened with these great suggestions...

Nicolàs

Hi again,

Yeah it's funny and resentful. On mine, polar coordinates display as a vector. This display mode cops with what help informs. I have’ t observed the mode you see. Right now my software version are the latest 2.1.14425 (2020 01 16). This is the latest suitable for my older hardware version “C”. Maybe yours are the latest Prime G2 model. It uses another software, which is not compatible with my “C”. I had 4 older software on mine for trial. But turned lately back to latest - above.

It takes a huge amount of time taken in to considerations all these inconsistencies when programming. But there is no alternative to Prime. Its speed and memory are way more than any others. TI-Basic will not do anything serious programming. Perhaps Pyton can. I think I wood prefer php.

But Prime:
No flags to set, not even manually. So this st**** auto evaluation could be over come. It is almost impossible programmatically to store a new value in an already in memory existing variable, because it will evaluate when used in all command functions in a program. Unless one use this strange EXPR(“”+x1+”:=”+48) or this one EXPR(“”+48+”>”+x1). The sto(hello,b) can do it. But will not go with this
sto({42,48,50,}[i],{x1,y1,z1}[i]) in a FOR loop, not even will it go with
sto(42,{x1,y1,z1}[2]). Such operation are necessary to have in advanced programming. There are none working when variables already exists. Was a flag like in HP 48, that could be set programmatically to hinder evaluation, the problem could be solved that way. The only offering are to store the variable list in a name. – Who would accept blurring variables in a huge equation having them as an indexed list ?. – I am not going investigate if an equation even will accept like that. Should I Halt the program and go to the command line and store the new value.

Single quoting variables does’ t help as long as it automatically strips off
the quotes as soon as it interacts with a command. A Flag is necessary
to set and offset this auto stripping. Together with a RCL command (Recall).
This will keep compatibility with earlier made programs. As it is now:
And a RCL command must work with a STO command.

Having a list of existing variables {xl,yl,zl} it is impossible to store new values in a single variable in this list. Doing any operation on the list will evaluate list variables. – Any command will evaluate it, even including STRING({xl,yl,zl}) or “”+{xl,yl,zl}. Trying to store a new value, you get a s***** message.
“Purge the variable”.
You can’t purge an existing variable in a list of the form I show, when it
will evaluate and show a float number to the purge command. Even it is
quoted, it will show a float to the purge command.

The programmers who created this coding language does not know they
actually created an useless programming tool. . They should ask them self - “Why did the HP 48 - HP 50 use the single quote the right way of using it. And why have these calculators a Flag to set or offset this evaluation mode”.

I found 4 different names and integers for the same type using TYPE() and type() in HOME and CAS. These functions are absolute necessities in serious programming too. Same with use of IFERR. If running a program enclosed in #cas … #end, IFERR does not work when running in HOME. I say it again, such important build in functions must be functioning under all circumstances.

One cannot even test if a program are running in CAS or HOME. Under TYPE() Help talks about 14.? for types running in cas mode. This type doesn’t exist on my Prime. I presume, it not either existent on the newest – G2. No Flags, no Test options, except a partly invalid IFTE, which suffer same fault as IFERR Nothing; except sufficiently speed and memory.

Also programmatically running a key press are not available. This command is absolute necessary. Starting a program testing whether
the calculator are in HOME or in CAS mode, thereby running a keypress
for a change over, are not possible.

Also trouble with the hardware direction pad. When warming up from heat transfer from one thumb, it starts to wriggle to an unwanted direction. Who are those people who bully millions of people around the world. There’s something for the European Union in Bryssels to work with. It’s not Corona only that needs to come under treatment. But also imported scrap wares from eastern. That have destroyed western countries well known production of quality. It’ s not the people out there
to account for this, but our own people of unscrupulous importers of scrap wares from out there.

Unfortunately, the swissmicros coming WP 43 S are’ t capable enough running from a coin battery. Ramping up from about 20 MHz to 80 MHz when connected to a USB output. It has neither. But it undoubtedly are high quality made – no doubt. HP are not trust worthy anymore.

If you build your programs with it, then you can count on, that they won’ t run on next upgrade. There will be many upgrades. Because, nobody can correct such a messy programming tool.

But you know it as well. No doubt.

It is almost all gone to pot.

Essen
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
Reading one or two arguments - HillyBoy - 03-13-2021, 04:18 PM
RE: Reading one or two arguments - essen - 03-13-2021, 08:40 PM
RE: Reading one or two arguments - Han - 03-14-2021, 05:20 AM
RE: Reading one or two arguments - essen - 03-14-2021, 11:54 AM
RE: Reading one or two arguments - essen - 03-14-2021, 10:08 PM
RE: Reading one or two arguments - essen - 03-15-2021, 12:27 PM
RE: Reading one or two arguments - essen - 03-16-2021 09:00 PM
RE: Reading one or two arguments - Gene - 03-17-2021, 08:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)