HP PRIME not raising overflow/underflow may cause critical errors
03-20-2021, 02:28 AM
RE: HP PRIME not raising overflow/underflow may cause critical errors
(03-19-2021 02:14 PM)Hollerith Wrote:  Arno wrote
Quote:I do not want to sound harsh, but 0^0 is undefined and not 1

This has been argued over for many years (centuries?) with various proofs showing that it is 1 or undefined. I thought the current consensus among mathematicians was that 0^0 = 1.

Whatever is correct, HP has changed it's mind in the past.

LOL

I was a teenager in the 80s and very lucky to have a Philips P2000T "home computer" and an Apple ][e. I got up at 7am in weekends to program my own BASIC concoctions and some games from magazines and later BASICODE broadcast on the radio. Can you believe it?

The P2000T Microsoft BASIC interpreter did this:

? 0↑0

Hmmm... this did not make much sense to me at first, because 0↑n=0 too and both cannot be true at the same time, right?

$$ \left. \begin{array}{l} 0^n = \underbrace{0\cdot 0\cdots 0}_\text{$n$ times} = 0 \cr x^0 = 1 \end{array} \right\} 0^0 = ? $$

This is not a matter of debate or a "current consensus among mathematicians". It is undefined. Just look at the expression above and you will never forget. Period. End of story.

- Rob

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP PRIME not raising overflow/underflow may cause critical errors - robve - 03-20-2021 02:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)