Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware
04-16-2021, 05:17 PM
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware
On the subject of KhiCAS. It brings to mind a few niggling concerns with the Python implementation on the Prime (that's been exposed to us so far). Something I had hoped for, was hooks into the native CAS system. Having a programming tool on a calculator who's key selling point is the elegance and simplicity of it's CAS without an API to program said CAS is a tad worrying. I'm fully aware that HP PPL enables the user to program the CAS but the whole point of Python is it's accessibility, relative simplicity and universal familiarity in STEM environments at all levels of education.

Having explored Python on the NSpire since it was first introduced, one of the key areas it provides a superlative experience is that that desktop software is effectively an IDE when working with Python. Using the Prime desktop emulator as an IDE doesn't compare.

Thinking about this IDE issue I was wondering if any consideration had been given to using Thonny as an IDE with the Prime. Thonny is very well know amongst educators as it hooks into Raspberry Pi/BBC Micro boards (and suchlike) and provides a simple MicroPython script editor/REPL for any boards connected to the host computer. I know that Primes can only be 'seen' on a host computer via the Connectivity Kit. But maybe there's a way to connect to Thonny in tandem. Nobodies going to want to write programs of any length on the calculator and whilst the emulator means touch typists can work at speed, it's still far from be being an ideal situation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware - jonmoore - 04-16-2021 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)