Cards with word and phrases (NNNs) for HP-67/HP-97
10-09-2021, 06:15 PM
RE: Cards with word and phrases (NNNs) for HP-67/HP-97
(10-09-2021 04:14 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  Maybe somebody received these cards or even was one of the volunteers and still have a copy of those cards. Would be interested in a copy if affordable ;-).

It must be stressed very strongly that those NNNs can be extremely dangerous and you'll destroy an HP-97's printhead (unrecoverably burn out) if you accidentally print one of them.

This happened to me 40 years ago with one of my firm's HP-97, and I still remember the extreme pain I felt when I realized (by the smell !) that I had (unintentionally) destroyed its printhead.

This can easily happen if you don't realize there's one of those killer NNNs stored somewhere in either the stack (say stack T) or some storage register (say RE), totally out of view, and then, once you've forgotten about it, try to absentmindedly print the stack or the registers.

As this has a non-negligible probability of happening by mere accident, I'd suggest that you never, ever get one of these killers on any HP-97 by reading some cards or otherwise, or Murphy's Law will eventually do its thing and you'll be very, very, very sorry.

Not worth the risk, it's like taking a selfie while hanging on one hand 300 ft. high over the ground: if something goes wrong, the consequences are far too serious to be worth it.

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cards with word and phrases (NNNs) for HP-67/HP-97 - Valentin Albillo - 10-09-2021 06:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)