The worst programming language ever
11-30-2021, 04:58 PM
RE: The worst programming language ever
In 1994, I was contacted by someone to write some new code under contract as a side gig. It was in the general field I had already been working in. For ease of development, I chose Visual Basic (at the time, version 4.0). The initial system was running on Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and 386/486 based hardware.

In 1998, the software was a full-fledged product for the company, so they hired me to continue development in-house. The software moved forward to VB5, then VB6 over time. The product continued to grow. I never leveraged much of any of the rudimentary OOP constructs available in the language. Others that came along to work on it eventually broke some areas down into classes, broke some code out into DLLs, etc.

In 2009, I was still working on and supporting the product. The small company I was working for got bought out by a larger concern and merged all the key players (me being the first and original development team employee) into our largest competitor. The competitor picked up our product and started pushing it for existing customer upgrades and new system installations.

In 2015, my colleagues and I undertook a rewrite of the entire system in a more modern programming language (C#.NET). A few customers are now running that system, but the majority are still running the VB6 version. I still support, and add new features to, the VB6-based system to this day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The worst programming language ever - Xorand - 11-30-2021 04:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)