41C Service Modules and module testing port dependencies
12-21-2021, 12:51 PM
RE: 41C Service Modules and module testing port dependencies
Hi,

Although I'm currently abroad and have no real SM with me, I'll try my best to answer.

I did many (read hundreds of) tests while developing the SM emulation for the Clonix/NoV modules and I'm glad that you have got good results from them. :-)

If my memory (from more than ten years ago) serves me well when testing ROM pacs the ET-11966 requires it to be inserted into port 4 (Lower-right).

The reference of the port 3 (Lower left) to insert the SM in is irrelevant and (IMHO) just inherited from the fact that the early 41Cs needed a special Memory Module ET-11967 which had to be placed into port 4.

This ET-11967 module is a double memory module which fills both ports 3 & 4 address range and has FI line active (no one of these has ever showed-up so far AFAIK).

On the other hand, you can select the [GEN ROM TEST] (Key [8]) which is only available on SM-2A and the test will find the ROM pac regardless the port it is plugged in. But 4K, 8K, 12K, 16K ROM tests (Keys [SST], [<-], [6] & [3]) also require the ROM pac to be in port 4.

In short, yes, ROM pacs have to be in port 4 for ROM test and SM (Clonix emulation) can live into 1, 2 or 3.

If you want to keep SM-2A into port 3 just reconfigure your Clonix/NoV with the Service 41CX instead of the C/CX application.

Hope this help, some errors in all of the above may arise due to the many years passed... Undecided

Best wishes and a great Xmas Season.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 41C Service Modules and module testing port dependencies - Diego Diaz - 12-21-2021 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)