ENTER↑ is a misnomer, long live ENTER:
07-07-2014, 05:37 PM
RE: ENTER↑ is a misnomer, long live ENTER:
(07-07-2014 10:50 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 10:40 PM)hansklav Wrote:  ... Looking into the future it is important that the key has a name that speaks for itself. Imho ENTER: gives future users of Classical RPN a much better intuitive feeling for the semantic of this key in Classical RPN calculators than ENTER↑.

Sorry, I continue disagreeing. While ENTER: looks like a label to me (no operation), ENTER↑ describes what the operation does - it enters a number in the stack. Even the arrow points in the right direction (although HP talks about pushing values on the stack, it pushes them below the stack in reality - but that's another story). I'm pretty sure you'll also find ENTER↑ on the 43S.

The problem is that you, as a seasoned user of RPN, only see one function of ENTER: duplicating a number on (sorry: under) the stack. But the ENTER↑ key has another function that is far more important to someone who tries to learn how to succesfully use an RPN calculator to get the right answer for his calculations, and that is the function of digit entry termination.

First the novice must learn when to push then ENTER↑ key, and especially when it should NOT be pushed.

The label ENTER: on this key would stress this premier function, "ENTER NEXT:", so only press ENTER: when you have to key in another number before pressing a function key.

To the seasoned user and programmer the aspect of stack duplication may be more interesting, but then this user hardly needs the labelling of the key as a mnemonic.

So if you're interested in clarity for new users, then you will follow my argument; if you're only interested in tradition, if the fact leaves you cold that a lot of new users find it hard to understand why in one RPN calculator you get 6 as result and in another 5 when you key in 2 ENTER 3 ENTER + then don't change anything.

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ENTER↑ is a misnomer, long live ENTER: - hansklav - 07-07-2014 05:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)