Spice calculator - glue?
07-07-2022, 11:01 AM
RE: Spice calculator - glue?
Hello!

(07-06-2022 06:52 PM)james summers Wrote:  What glues have you had success with and what glues should be avoided?

I think that the housing of the HP-30 / Spice series calculators is made from polystyrene (Polystyrol where I live). Therefore I would try the kind of glue that modelers use for plastic models (like the ones from "Airfix" for those who remember that long gone brand), e.g. "Revell Contacta".

Another glue that I often try first with unknown types of plastic is "UHU Allplast" (can be found on Amazon like the one above). You either get almost instant good bonding or no bonding at all, in the latter case it is easily removed without leaving traces.

Sometimes I also got an easy repair with a drop of superglue (cyanoacrylate). To some types of plastic it does not bond at all, like the one the little bottles are made from that it comes in, to others it sticks very well. Again, you won't damage anything by trying.

And what to avoid? If my assumption is correct and the housing is made from polystyrene then avoid any type of glue containing acetone, or pure acetone for cleaning. It dissolves polystyrene as quickly as hot tea dissolves sugarcubes...

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Spice calculator - glue? - james summers - 07-06-2022, 06:52 PM
RE: Spice calculator - glue? - Maximilian Hohmann - 07-07-2022 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)